My GoGo is GoneGone!
WTF! I’ve mapped-out a to-do list for my three-hour westbound flight. We hit 10,000 feet and I try to log-in. No Wi-Fi. No way, no how.
The apologetic flight attendant attempts a reset and I get 20 glorious minutes of connectivity. And then BOOM! GoGo is gone again. I see that ominous little red x over the icon. I was in the midst of sending an e-mail. Yeah, it sucks.
But that’s why we all need a plan B.
We’ve come to expect and plan for connectivity on earth and in the sky. Even though in-air Wi-Fi didn’t become a reality until 2008, we now usually feel entitled to it. I remind myself that someone figured out how to connect people 10,000 up in the air to everyone in the world and that’s pretty impressive. It’s a convenience…not a human right.
I’ve started a list of things you can do without Wi-Fi on long flights. Let’s see if we can get to 100. Just add your suggestions (serious or whimsical) to the Comments.
- Bring a magazine or two along. Flipping pages (old school) can be therapeutic.
- Download a movie before you board.
- Resolve to teach yourself a new language and stream a foreign tongue through your ear buds
- Talk to the person next to you (provided he or she is receptive).
- Chat with the flight attendants (ditto) when they are off duty.