Is Pre-Packing Anxiety (PPA) a real mental condition?
For me, it sometimes can be. Especially for those long trips that combine business and pleasure and take place over winter. I try to avoid checking my suitcase with airlines, which presents a challenge. I once had a favorite jacket disappear between the time I checked my bag and when I picked it up off the carousel, so I’ve been slightly traumatized.
I’m about to head out on a two-week bleisure trip this week. Here are some suggestions that you can apply to alleviate your own moments of PPA:
- Make a list
- Stick to the list
- Leave enough time to pack so you’ll make rational decisions. Always pack sober
- Pack multi-purpose pieces like leggings and tunics that can be either casual or formal and don’t need ironing. I guess the male equivalent would be the unlined blazer
- Invest in a great pair of lightweight sneakers and stuff them with your gym clothes
- If you’re going somewhere civilized, you can always pick up an item you need. Don’t overpack!
- In-between trips, keep your eyes out for sale items that are lightweight and versatile and can serve as your bleisure living go-to stash
- At the end of every trip, take stock of what you wore/used and what you didn’t. Learn for next time
You can find more packing wisdom here. And, as always, we’d love to hear your own packing and bleisure travel tips!